Anri of Astora is a character in Dark Souls III. Male Anri is voiced by Adam Sopp, who also voiced Rickert of Vinheim and Vince of Thorolund in Dark Souls. Female Anri is voiced by Lucy Briggs, who also voiced several characters in Bloodborne.
Anri can be encountered several times throughout the course of the game in the following locations:
- Road of Sacrifices
- Firelink Shrine
- After defeating the Deacons of the Deep.
- Catacombs of Carthus
- Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
- Cathedral of the Deep
Anri is one of the two children that managed to escape from Aldrich long ago, hinted by Horace's armor set. Like the Ashen One, Anri is an Unkindled in search of the Lords of Cinder, seeking to slay Aldrich. Anri travels with Horace and greatly admires his skill as a warrior. Anri can be summoned for the Deacons of the Deep and Pontiff Sulyvahn boss fights. The player can touch the summon sign just in front of the giant double golden doors in Anor Londo to be summoned into his/her world to assist them in defeating Aldrich.
Anri's Straight Sword
- Find Anri and Horace on the Road of Sacrifices near the Halfway Fortress bonfire. Be sure to exhaust Anri's dialogue, followed by Horace (who remains silent), and then a last dialogue engagement with Anri (who will tell the player Horace won't speak).
- After defeating the Deacons of the Deep, find Anri and Horace at Firelink Shrine. Exhaust their dialogue to learn they're seeking Aldrich.
- Next the player can find Anri alone (and presumably distraught) in the Catacombs of Carthus next to the room where two curved greatsword-wielding skeletons patrol near the long ramp with the Large boulder-of-bones. After speaking with Anri the player will learn Horace is missing.
- Continue through the catacombs until reaching, and before crossing, the bridge to High Lord Wolnir. Take a path on the right leading up and around the stalagmites to reveal Anri on a cliff. Exhaust Anri's dialogue to learn Horace is still missing and is sought after.
- If the player tells Anri where Horace is, Anri will go in search and eventually die or go hollow
- Player can and should choose to find and defeat Horace before returning to Anri in the previous location and exhausting the dialogue. Notifying Anri of the interaction and death of Horace will net the player the Ring of the Evil Eye and continue the questline.
- The player must continue through Irithyll of the Boreal Valley to come upon a saddened Anri near the Church of Yorshka bonfire. Exhaust Anri's dialogue to learn that Anri plans to push forward despite the death of Horace.
- Note in the corner of the church are statues with one being a pilgrim hidden with the Chameleon sorcery. If the player leaves the pilgrim alive, Anri will be assassinated and the quest line will end.
- If the player kills the camouflaged pilgrim, Anri's personal quest line will continue but Yuria's quest line, along with the Usurpation of Fire ending, will end.
- If the pilgrim was killed, then the player will find Anri's summon sign to the left of the large double-doors in Anor Londo leading to Aldrich. Activate Anri's summon and aid in defeating Aldrich (only in Anri's world). Upon defeat, the player can travel to Firelink Shrine and speak with Ludleth of Courland to receive Anri's sword.
- If Anri was sent to the Smouldering Lake to find Horace dead, Anri will now return to his grave, hollow and wielding a broken sword. If not, Anri will go to the Road of Sacrifices near the Cleansing Chapel. In both cases, Anri will be hostile to the player when encountered. Killing Anri at this point will allow you to buy the Elite Knight Set from the Shrine Handmaid.
|Introduction||"Oh, hello. How do you do. I am Anri of Astora. Unkindled, like you. This is Horace. A friend and travelling companion. Are you too in search of the Lords of Cinder? We are well along the road of sacrifices. Below us is the Crucifixion Woods. Beyond the flooded woods lies Farron Keep, home of the Undead Legion. Further yet is the Cathedral of the Deep. We seek the cathedral, home of the grim Aldrich. We may go our separate ways now, but we are both seekers of lords. The next time we cross paths, one may find the other in a time of need. May the flames guide your way."|
|If spoken to after interacting with Horace||"Oh, yes, Horace... He's not very talkative. But don't think ill of him. He's an uptstanding, kind-hearted knight, a fine partner for this gruelling journey. Without his help, I would have cursed this onerous duty long ago."|
|Attacking Anri||"What's happened to you? Please, stop this! You've gone Hollow, have you? Then I shall put you to rest. Horace! Join me!"|
|When killed||"Forgive me, Horace... It pains me...to leave you..."|
|When Horace is killed||"Oh, Horace, why... Don't leave me, not you... Not like the others... Oh, Horace, Horace... Oh, Horace, why..."|
|Killing Anri after killing Horace||"Oh, Horace, everyone, forgive me... I was weak on my own..."|
|Interacting at Firelink Shrine after defeating Deacons of the Deep||"Oh. And we meet again. We spoke before on the road of sacrifices. Anri of Astora. I am well pleased to see you safe. We reached the Cathedral of the Deep, but Aldrich's coffin was empty. The man-eater must have left for his true home. The little doll in the empty coffin told me. Aldrich is said to hail from Irithyll in the Boreal Valley, an ancient fabled city..."|
|When first talking with Anri in the Catacombs of Carthus||"Oh, hello, how very fortunate. Have you seen my companion, Horace? To my shame, I was snared by a trap, and we've become separated. I've not been able to find him since."|
|Answering "No"||"Yes, I see. Horace is a valiant knight. He can look after himself, no question. He's probably searching for me right now, with twice the resolve. If you happen upon him, please tell him that I remain in the catacombs and will lay prism stones to guide him, as always. Please send him my word. I beg of you. May the flames guide your way."|
|When first talking with Anri in the Catacombs of Carthus part II||"Ah, hello, we meet again. Have you seen Horace anywhere?"|
|Answering "No"||Oh, yes, I see. I've searched high and low, with no luck. Perhaps he's left the catacombs. Oh, Horace, where have you run off to? Have you abandoned me? No, what a horrible thought..."|
|When first talking with Anri in the Catacombs of Carthus part III||Oh, Horace, where have you run off to? Have you abandoned me? No, what a horrible thought..."|
|After discovering Horace and deciding to tell Anri||"Oh, goodness me. To think there'd be a lake so deep within these catacombs. What a relief. I knew that Horace was alive, and wouldn't stray far. Thank you, we are both in your debt. This hardly expresses my gratitude, but it'll have to do for now. Please take it. And may the flames guide your way."|
|Church of Yorshka||"Oh, I thought it might be you. Good to see you. I never managed to find Horace. But my duty must be done, even alone. As an unkindled Lordseeker. For the children I knew, bless their souls. We all have our reasons, don't we?"
"Please, take this. Recompense for my foolish request. And also a token of protection. May the flames guide your way."
"Ahh, you are brave indeed. To face your duty alone. I would do well to learn from you. May the flames guide your way."
|During the fight with Aldrich, if Horace was killed before Anri disappears from the Church of Yorshka||"Ahh, I thought it might be you. No, this only bolsters my resolve. Please. Lend me your strength. Help me vanquish Aldrich, the man-eating fiend."|
|During the fight with Aldrich, if Horace was killed after Anri disappears from the Church of Yorshka||"Ahh, I thought it might be you. Then I'm afraid Horace is... No, this only bolsters my resolve. Please, lend me your strength. Help me vanquish Aldrich, the man-eating fiend."|
|Upon defeating Aldrich||I owe this to you. Thank you. Truly. Horace we've done it. We really have..."|
- Anri's gender is dependent of the player's character and is always the opposite to the Ashen One's.
- This is with the object of giving sense to a specific event of Yuria's questline, where the player takes "marries" Anri.
- The Reversal Ring does not affect this.
- When killed, the Elite Knight Set will become available for purchase with the Shrine Handmaid.
- During the questline, if the player fails to save Anri from either Horace or the assassin at the church, a dead pilgrim will be found just outside Lord Gwyn's honorary tomb in Anor Londo and only Anri's lifeless body will be waiting inside. If this occurs, the questline is broken and can only be reattempted on another playthrough.
- If the player comes back to the Gwyn's tomb after refreshing the area by resting at a bonfire, they will find the pilgrim dead and can pillage the Chameleon sorcery from its body. The player can also loot Anri's Straight Sword from the altar. Upon refreshing the area again, Anri's body will be gone.
- During the "Usurpation of Fire" ending, Anri can be seen on the right, among the rest of the hollows. If the player previously purchased the Elite Knight Set from the Shrine Handmaid, Anri will appear naked, as he/she has nothing to wear; otherwise, he/she will be wearing the set.
- Anri often farewells the Ashen One with the words: "May the flames guide your way.".
- Anri wears the Elite Knight armor set from Dark Souls, whose owner was also from Astora.
- In that game and found through cut content, that knight was supposed to have his/her own quest to take place simultaneously with the player's and would occasionally meet to help each other in their respective quests.