Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Caged in Sen's Fortress, behind a destructible wall (can be broken with the Serpent Soldier, a suitable weapon, or by sending a boulder down the middle pathway).
- In Firelink Shrine beside Griggs.
- Prison portion of the Duke's Archives
- Library portion of the Duke's Archives, near the room leading to the Crystal Cave.
- The arena of the first encounter with Seath the Scaleless.
Big Hat Logan is first encountered in Sen's Fortress, hidden behind a wall, which can be destroyed by manipulating the iron ball trap mechanism, using a powerful enough weapon, or goading the sleeping guard to attack the wall. After freeing him with either the Cage Key or Master Key, Big Hat Logan thanks the player and later retreats to Firelink Shrine. There, he accompanies Griggs of Vinheim and offers to sell the player advanced Sorceries.
Big Hat Logan soon leaves Firelink Shrine after the Lordvessel has been obtained. He is then encountered in The Duke's Archives trapped in a large jail cell. Logan explains that he is there to study Seath the Scaleless and his magic. After freeing him with the Archive Tower Giant Cell Key, players may find Logan in an ancillary library close to the third bonfire in The Duke's Archives, where he will begin to sell Crystal Sorceries as well as his prior spells. Alternatively, if not freed by you he will free himself and move to the library after Seath is defeated.
Unfortunately, Logan's infatuation with Seath's magic eventually drives him insane and he will move to the large chamber where Seath the Scaleless is first encountered and become hostile after his entire stock of spells has been purchased.
Master Logan was a famous Sorcerer and a royal member of the Vinheim Dragon School before he turned Undead about one hundred years ago. His nickname stems from the gigantic hat he wore, which completely hid his face; he used it to block the noise and stares from those around him in order to focus his thoughts. His weapon was once an ordinary catalyst employed by the Sorcerers of Vinheim, but it has since been strengthened due to lengthy use over time. Similarly, his robe is one typically worn by apprentices at Dragon School.
In his attempt to reach Anor Londo, presumably to gain access to The Duke's Archives and thus, its vast store of endless knowledge, he became imprisoned in Sen's Fortress, where he first encounters the Chosen Undead.
Big Hat Logan has a repertoire of dangerous Sorceries up his sleeve, including Soul Spear and Homing Soulmass. If attacked later in the game, he will also possess their augmented crystal variants. However, he is fairly fragile and can be killed quickly before he deals too much damage.
If he is killed when encountered in Sen's Fortress or Firelink Shrine, he will not drop anything.
- Big Hat's Set and Logan's Catalyst can be found in a chest where he normally sits in The Duke's Archives after he goes insane and travels to the arena where Seath is first encountered. (the elevator is likely at the top of its position and the lever will need to be used to bring it back down. It is recessed and hidden away on the second floor.)
- When Big Hat Logan is battled, he wears no clothes except for his big hat and also uses the Tin Crystallization Catalyst. He takes off his clothes because he has gone insane.
- When spoken to in the Duke's Archives there will be no intelligence requirement to purchase his spells.
Logan will not sell anything to the player unless they have at least 15 Intelligence.
Great Soul Arrow
Heavy Soul Arrow
Great Heavy Soul Arrow
Crystal Soul Spear *
Crystal Magic Weapon *
Homing Crystal Soulmass *
* Only available at The Duke's Archives
Health and SoulsEdit
|Encounter||Physical Defenses||Elemental Defenses||Resistances|
|The Duke's Archives||268||280||275||266||307||218||255||B||B||B|
|The Duke's Archives (Insane)||146||148||148||144||186||134||152||D||D||D|
These stats are sourced from FuturePress's Official Dark Souls Strategy Guide.
Tin Crystallization Catalyst
White Dragon Breath
|Drop Rate|| Guaranteed
(Won't drop at Sen's Fortress)
(In The Duke's Archives)
(In The Duke's Archives)
|Click to see Dialogue (Contains Spoilers)|
- Big Hat Logan seems to prefer sitting down in a meditative position (Except for the first encounter when he's in a hanging jail cell).
- Logan shares many similarities with Sage Freke from Demon's Souls. Both are initially found trapped in cages and rescued by the player. Both are preceded by apprentices looking for them, both have an unhealthy fascination with magic and both are even found sitting in the main hub area.
- Rickert of Vinheim mentions to the player that Big Hat Logan is famous in Vinheim; however, he also mentions that Logan was from "a hundred years ago". Either Logan has remained sane for as long as he has been undead, or time warping in Lordran has brought Logan to a time where one does not belong.
- When Logan is encountered hostile, he is not hollowed, but was simply driven insane in a more "traditional" sense. All NPCs appear in their charred, undead forms when they encounter players after hollowing.
- If the player dies when fighting against Big Hat Logan while in Seath's arena, the player will respawn in the prison as if they were killed by Seath himself.
- Unusually, Big Hat Logan's name is spelt out explicitly as ビッグハット ローガン (Biggu Hatto Ro-gan) in the original Japanese, rather than being a translation.