Both Sages are towering figures that have billowing, long robes that obscure most of their bodies. True to their pedigree, they wear enormous hats that obscure their faces, though they also wear bone masks that look like beaks, with glass eye lenses. Instead of sorcery staves, they utilize crystal spheres as catalysts (likely used similarly to crystal balls). The Legion's Sage uses a bluish white sphere, while the Archives' Sage uses a floral lavender sphere. They also wield rapiers for defense.
The preacher twins, known better as the Crystal Sages, arrived in Lothric at an unknown time, along with numerous magics. They were said to be the successors, or at least the spiritual successors of the legendary "Big Hat" Logan, the Vinheim sorcerer who studied the paledrake, Seath the Scaleless, and his learnings, which lead to Logan's records of Crystal Sorcery, which the Sages would continue to study throughout their whole lives, and it appears that they eventually set up shop at Lothric's Grand Archives.
The Scholars of the Grand Archives, under the spiritual direction of the twins, maintained a dangerous store of knowledge, some of which being similar to what drove both Seath and Logan mad, forcing them to take measures such as coating their heads and clothing with wax to avoid similar madness. Their favorite student during this time was a woman named Kriemhild, and they gifted her with one of their spherical catalysts, fixed to the end of a stick to create a staff.
Eventually, in a pact of uncertain terms, one of the Sages joined the Undead Legion of Farron to teach them sorceries, though how this affected the relationship between the twins is not made certain. As the Legion believed in speed over power, the Crystal Sage created spells that were practical and could be used relatively faster than other sorceries, but required and encouraged the development of specific talent. The daughter of the Legion's lead acolyte, a xanthous scholar named Heysel, appeared to have had some of her own sorceries tailored in such a way.
The Crystal Sage spends the first half of the fight teleporting and casting spells. Its spells include Homing Soul Arrow, Heavy Soul Arrow, a homing crystal ball, a rapid fire soul dart, and a mortar-style bombardment. Once down to half health, the Sage will spawn clones when teleporting. These clones seem to cast the same spells. It is not advisable to block any of the spells, as the stamina drain is large.
For melee players, running up to the sage and hitting rapidly is a good strategy. This should interrupt any spells and cause the Sage to teleport. Once the Sage gets to half health and clones, you must either take out the clones very quickly or identify the real Sage to deal damage. The clones only take a single hit to dispatch.
It is possible to stagger the sage by using a large weapon (e.g.: ultra greatswords) to stun-lock and take him out before he enters the second phase.
It is also possible to use poison or toxic against him. Usually the Storyteller's Staff can do the job easily. Simply Use the weapon art, toxic the boss and go sit at the top of the little hill at the right of the arena. Slow way to kill the boss but surely a safe approach on higher NG or when melee is a tricky approach.
Soul of a Crystal Sage
|Drop Rate|| Guaranteed |
(Road of Sacrifices)
| Guaranteed |
- A second Crystal Sage appears in the Grand Archives as a normal enemy, teleporting to various spots of a great library while shooting powerful magic projectiles from a distance. The player has to find their way to its location while fending off the many enemies and obstacles scattered throughout the area.
- From the description of the Sage's Crystal Staff, "Crystal spheres devour the will of the user.". Perhaps their lifetime of using them has driven them mad, giving them a sad but not very unexpected fate similar to Logan and Seath, their predecessors.
- Kriemhild does not appear to be insane, however, despite using one in her staff.
- While the Legion's Sage uses a blue sphere, the sorcery they cast is lavender. In reverse of this, the Archive's Sage uses a lavender sphere, while their sorcery is blue.
- From close observation of the second Crystal Sage, it appears to have feminine hair, while the boss version is bald. This could imply that the Crystal Sage on the Road of Sacrifices is male, and the other is female, making the twins brother and sister.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Soul of a Crystal Sage description.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Sage Ring description.
- ↑ Crystal Gem description.
- ↑ Sage's Big Hat description.
- ↑ Crystal Sage's Rapier description.
- ↑ Crystal Scroll description.
- ↑ Scholar's Robe description.
- ↑ Sage's Crystal Staff description.
- ↑ Sage's Scroll description.
- ↑ Great Farron Dart description.
- ↑ Farron Hail description.