When used, the Dragon Torso Stone transforms the player's body into that of a dragon-like creature. The transformation is permanent until the player dies. The transformation cannot be performed when wearing armor. While the torso is active, it imparts the following benefits:
- Slight natural defense boost. This is not reflected on the stats screen.
- Significant improvement in damage of unarmed strikes, to the point of out-damaging many fist weapons, such as the Caestus. This is also not reflected on the stats screen. The attack rating is 400.
- Subsequent uses of the Dragon Torso Stone will cause the player to emit a Force-like roar at the cost of some stamina. In addition to causing knockback against nearby enemies and reflecting magic attacks, using the roar will temporarily increase the damage the player deals by 25% for ~5–7 seconds. This effect can be prolonged to 11–15 seconds using the Lingering Dragoncrest Ring.
- The Dragon Head Stone can also be used afterward to breathe fire.
Ranking up in the Path of the Dragon covenant increases both the duration and strength of the roar's buff, as well as the impact of its Force-like effect. When maxed out, the damage buff is about 30%, lasts for about 10 seconds, and has about as much impact as Wrath of the Gods, though it inflicts no damage.
While active the player's fist moveset is different, as detailed below.
|Horizontal swipe. Some starting lag.|
|Jump Attack||Player leaps forward and punches with both arms.|
|Running Attack||Downward swipe. Some ending lag.|
- Once obtained, the player is not required to continue being a member of the Path of the Dragon covenant to use this item.
- The plunging attack also differs from the norm when in dragon form, having both claws facing downward.