- High Wall of Lothric - Three are found on a corpse behind the first wyvern encountered.
- Dropped by Lothric Knights.
- Dropped by Lycanthropes in the Road of Sacrifices and the Farron Keep.
- Gained after successfully helping another host defeat an area boss.
- Dropped by Pus of Man.
While in this mode, the player is at risk of being invaded, but they will also gain the ability to summon other unkindled to aid them.
There are other methods to enter Lord of Cinder mode without using an Ember. This can be useful for players that lack embers, or who simply want to conserve them. These include:
- Defeating a boss in the player's own world will make them enter Lord of Cinder mode.
- Defeating a boss while summoned as a white or gold Phantom will make the player enter Lord of Cinder mode, along with giving them an additional Ember.
- Defeating a Host of Embers while invading by using the Red Eye Orb.
- Players should take the area they're in into consideration before using an Ember. Being in Lord of Cinder mode near high-traffic PvP areas, such as Farron Keep or Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, can quickly lead to players being overwhelmed by the amount of invasions that can happen in a short time-span, likely wasting Embers in the process due to deaths that would've been avoided by consuming the Ember at the end of the area.