- A single Estus Flask is given to the player by the Emerald Herald in Majula when she is first spoken to.
- Additional Estus Flasks may be obtained with each Estus Flask Shard brought to her, up to a limit of 12.
- Sublime Bone Dust can be found in the game, which increases the amount of health an Estus Flask heals by 50 HP each, to a maximum of +5.
Summoned shades cannot drink Estus during most PvP. Only hosts or Dragon Eye users can use the Estus Flask during PvP, where the host heals friendly shades.
- Estus Flasks restore life more quickly than Lifegems, but initially come in a much more limited quantity. Unlike Lifegems, Estus Flasks are automatically refilled at bonfires.
- A +0 Estus Flask heals for 550, and a +5 Estus Flask heals for 800.
- Drinking an Estus Flask stops the player completely. With this in mind, it might be beneficial to use a Lifegem if the player is in a pinch, as they only slow down movement speed while used.