Smough relished his title as executioner, so much so that he ground the bones of his victims into his feed. He desired to be a part of Gwyn's Knights, but was rejected due to his apparent gleeful love of his work as an executioner as well as his cannibalistic behavior.
- In the code for the Japanese version of the game, Smough's name is displayed as '処刑者スモウ', which translates to read as 'Executioner Sumou'.
- Concept art of Smough's armor depicts a rather muscular man wearing it. Whether this depiction is of Smough himself, or a male Chosen Undead wearing his armor, is unknown.
- The armor is described as being able to be worn by humans "but not without great difficulty". This may imply that some aspects of the armor are adapted to Smough's body
- When worn by the player, the visor in Smough's helm is shown located at the neck of the helm, and a small wooden construction holds the upper part of the helm in place.
- Whether Smough also wears the helm like this or not is unknown.
- During the boss fight, if the player defeats Ornstein first, Ornstein's hand moving briefly before Smough crushes him with his hammer, implying that he was still alive.