Forlorn are invaders clad in black armor who will wield either a Scythe of the Forlorn, or a Greatsword of the Forlorn. Unlike other Dark Spirits, their invasions can occur randomly and their armaments are randomized as well, and as such they can be hard to predict and prepare for. As well, they can choose to invade immediately upon players entering their domain, or long after the boss of the area has been defeated, meaning that they can catch players off-guard with inadequate or unsuitable equipment.
The Forlorn are not susceptible to Poison-type status ailments (this includes Toxic as well), however they are susceptible to Bleed. This means that the only way to reliably defeat them is to engage them in direct combat. Depending on the type of weapon they are wielding, different strategies should be adopted.
Forlorn are smart fighters, capable of using guard breaks against players who constantly keep their shields up as well as rolling to avoid attacks. However, the unwieldiness of their weapons means that players may easily find gaps in their attacks to either get hits in or to retreat and heal safely. As well, their lack of shields means that they are quite vulnerable to ranged spell damage and even regular attacks against their guards can deal chip damage. Their block can even be taken advantage of via use of guard breaks to stun them and get in damage.
Greatsword wielders will often try to get in one- or two-hit attacks when possible, and will utilize rolling and jumping attacks where possible. These can be reliably blocked using a shield, or evaded with good rolling, and then punished with attacks during their recovery.
Scythe wielders represent a far greater threat, as the dead-angling nature of their Reapers allow them to bypass shields if they attack at the right range and quickly eviscerating unprepared players. The best approach to defeating these type of Forlorn is to equip a short weapon such as a straight sword or thrusting sword, and baiting their attacks up-close. By getting right in their face, players can get inside of the reaper's effective range and completely block the attack with their shield, possibly causing a deflection and getting good hits in while the Forlorn is recoiling. Be warned, however, as Forlorn can sometimes chain a strong attack after their initial swing that can take players by surprise.
- Aldia's Keep: When lighting the four sconces within the keep, the player will summon four Forlorn invaders (each one for each sconce), two wielding the Scythe of the Forlorn, and two wielding the Greatsword of the Forlorn.
- Note: These four do not count toward unlocking the Forlorn items at Straid's shop.
- Black Gulch: After the first set of black pools.
- Brightstone Cove Tseldora: After the Lower Brightstone Cove bonfire, when crossing the spiky pit with mining hollows within. May also appear around the house of Weaponsmith Ornifex.
- Brume Tower: At the Throne Floor bonfire. Near the Foyer bonfire.
- Dragon's Sanctum: Near the Hidden Sanctum Chamber bonfire.
- Drangleic Castle: Around the entrance and within the hall housing Chancellor Wellager.
- Earthen Peak: Right after Lower Earthen Peak bonfire and between Central Earthen Peak and Upper Earthen Peak bonfire.
- Forest of Fallen Giants: Near The Place Unbeknownst bonfire. Near the Soldiers' Rest bonfire. Near the Cardinal Tower bonfire, next to Pate's sitting position.
- Frozen Eleum Loyce: In the area with the ballistae and the invisible knights, after the Abandoned Dwelling bonfire.
- Harvest Valley: From the Poison Pool bonfire, in the cave that contains Lonesome Gavlan.
- Huntsman's Copse: Across the bridge from the Bridge Approach bonfire.
- Iron Keep: Can invade when leaving the Ironhearth Hall bonfire. Can also appear on the Iron Bridge.
- Shaded Woods: In the misty woods after the Ruined Fork Road bonfire. Near the Shaded Woods bonfire.
- Shrine of Amana: Near the Crumbled Ruins bonfire.
- The Lost Bastille: In the area around the Exile Holding Cell bonfire. Can also appear near McDuff's Workshop. Can also appear on the bridge leading to the Sinners' Rise.
- Undead Crypt: Spawns in the doorway leading to the area with two Leydia Witches and multiple prisoners.
- Using Dried Fingers or Tokens of Spite may increase the chance that a Forlorn invades.
- Reloading the area by sitting at a bonfire can cause a Forlorn to invade.
- If the player has died and lost a large number of souls, the Forlorn may have a higher chance of invading. This may have been added in order to make it harder to retrieve large amounts of souls.
- Killing the Forlorn invaders will allow the player to purchase special armor and weapons from Straid of Olaphis. These kills will carry over to NG+ and beyond.
|Number of Forlorn killed||Item unlocked at Straid's shop|
|One||Hood of the Forlorn|
|Two||Gauntlets of the Forlorn|
|Three||Leggings of the Forlorn|
|Four||Armor of the Forlorn|
|Four + one Scythe wielding Forlorn||Scythe of the Forlorn|
|Four + one Greatsword wielding Forlorn||Greatsword of the Forlorn|