The location can only be accessed after unlocking the door in front of the Expulsion Chamber bonfire using the Garrison Ward Key. Inside is a coffin that can be used to slide down the icy slopes and into the Frigid Outskirts. Once there, severe blizzards will begin to cycle every few moments, which inhibits the player's vision and cause Ice Stallions to spawn at random.
The goal is to reach the dwelling of Lud and Zallen, the king's pets, who are found in a pit some distance away. Along the way are various enemies who will attack and dilapidated buildings that contain loot.
- Mirrah Hat (corpse - outside the eastern wall of the first building)
- Ring of the Living (corpse - along the right border of the chasm surrounding the boss room)
- Human Effigy ×2 (corpse)
- Lacerating Knife ×20 - (corpse)
- Twinkling Titanite ×2 - (corpse)
- Dried Root ×1 (corpse)
- Each snowstorm has a duration of 28 seconds.
- If the player is going the wrong way during a snowstorm, the game will usually let them know by spawning two Ice Stallions at once.
- The journey between the caskets where the player starts the area and the first building is safe to traverse, with no enemies spawning during the snowstorms.
- The second building houses a health-restoring pool activated via a Pharros' contraption.