If Frost is inflicted on the player, a green status bar will appear. As Frost is inflicted repeatedly, the status bar will become increasingly red, until it is fully red, which is when the Frostbite effect will occur.
The amount of Frost inflicted by weapons wielded by the player is influenced by whether they meet the requirements of a weapon or not. If the player does not meet a weapon's requirements, then the amount of Frost inflicted will be reduced by a large percentage.
- Reduction in movement speed.
- Slower recovery when getting staggered.
- A portion of health is taken off upon infliction, which is unaffected by the player's stats, weapons used or the enemy's defenses.
- -15% to Stamina regeneration.
- Damage absorptions are reduced by 15 - 20%.
- Immunity to further Frost build-up.
All effects, except the damage burst, go away after a short duration, represented by the Frost build-up bar returning to green. Alternatively, taking any form of Fire damage will instantly cure the effect; however, any Fire damage taken during the build-up stage will not remove any accumulated Frost build-up.
- Birch Woman (Ashes of Ariandel)
- Boreal Outrider Knight
- Great Crab (Ashes of Ariandel)
- Irithyllian Beast-Hound
- Pontiff Knight
- Pots in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
- Vordt of the Boreal Valley
The following list contains weapons that cause Frost build-up:
- Friede's Great Scythe (Ashes of Ariandel)
- Irithyll Rapier
- Irithyll Straight Sword
- Pontiff Knight Curved Sword
- Pontiff Knight Great Scythe
- Vordt's Great Hammer
- Chillbite Ring
- Deep Protection
- Fleshbite Ring
- Profuse Sweat
- Leveling up the Vigor stat.
- Equipment with Frost resistance.
- Frost build-up is the only weapon stat that cannot be altered through infusion, either positively or negatively.
- Due to Fire damage instantly clearing the Frostbite status, one can alternate between a Fire and Frost weapon to rapidly inflict Frost multiple times on enemies in a short timespan.