High Lord Wolnir is a colossal skeleton adorned with jewelry and a few shreds of clothing. Only his torso up remains of his body.
Once upon a time, each of the rightful lords of Carthus were bestowed crowns judiciously, until Wolnir brought them all to their knees, and conquered most kingdoms known to their people. Thus, the crowns of Carthus became one, and Wolnir the one High Lord.
Wolnir eventually succumbed to the Abyss, and in falling, was gripped by a fear of true darkness; so he pleaded to the gods for the first time. He found some semblance of comfort from a holy sword and three armlets stripped from the corpses of clerics.  Wolnir sentenced countless souls to gruesome deaths, keen to outlive them all.
The key to beating Wolnir is to destroy his bracelets, one on his right hand and two on his left. The boss is surrounded by a black fog that will rapidly drain the player's health so they should not move past Wolnir's arms or body. He will occasionally exhale a blast of this fog that covers a large area in front of him, immediately sprint out of range to avoid it. It is recommended to destroy the right bracelet first as his arm is in closer proximity to the fog.
Wolnir attacks mainly with fist swipes that are relatively easy to evade and can even be blocked with a strong enough shield. After destroying one of the bracelets, he may summon his sword that greatly increases his attack range. It's possible to prevent this by destroying a bracelet whilst he is mid-summon. Occasionally, he will call forth Skeletons, Skeleton Wheels, and even Skeleton Swordsmen to aid him, although they will often be destroyed by his attacks.
When the player is teleported to the Abyss, the Grave Warden Pyromancy Tome will be lying in front of them awaiting to be picked up; doing so will immediately commence the boss fight, though. If the player is observant, they will notice the boss's arms are visible from the beginning, with Wolnir's left arm (right side of the screen) more reachable, thus making it a better option to charge directly to this bracelet first. The tome can be retrieved at any time during or after the fight, or once the player has returned to the chalice room and has reloaded the area.
Although it is not immediately apparent, there is a time limit to this battle. Wolnir is constantly climbing up the incline and although he will be blocked by a wall, the player will have a very small space to evade his attacks and the fog will be almost impossible to avoid. Destroying a bracelet will cause him to slip back down the incline and once all three are broken, he will be consumed by the Abyss.
Using bows and arrows is good alternative to destroy Wolnir's bracelets, as the player can remain at a considerable safe distance. Even though Wolnir's health bar will deplete minimally with each hit, a bracelet will be completely destroyed after just two-to-four successful hits, and the accuracy required is quite forgiving, allowing the player to register hits even if the arrow didn't make perfect contact on the target, thus making it more an exercise of being patient and aiming well instead of rushing into a reckless charge.
Soul of High Lord Wolnir
- Weak against Blessed weaponry.
- Casting Pestilent Mist does not alert Wolnir and thus the boss can be defeated even if his health bar has not yet appeared onscreen, granted the player has enough FP to cast it enough times.
- If the player defeats Wolnir without destroying all three bracelets, he will display a different death animation in which he simply disintegrates like most other bosses.
- Unlike that appearing in the first game, Wolnir's Abyss is actually an enormous enclosed stone cave and there is even a back wall.
- A promotional screenshot shows this boss in a large hallway rather than in the Abyss.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Item description of Soul of High Lord Wolnir.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Item description of Wolnir's Crown.
- ↑ Item description of Carthus Bloodring.
- ↑ Item description of Carthus Milkring.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Item description of Grave Warden Pyromancy Tome.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Item description of Wolnir's Holy Sword.
- ↑ Item description of Black Flame.
- ↑ Item description of Black Fire Orb.