Found in the Cemetery of Ash, near the entrance to Firelink Shrine. He is first found kneeling down and is immune to damage. Once the sword in his chest has been removed, he will rise and the battle will begin.
Once a champion, Gundyr arrived at Firelink Shrine somehow late, and was greeted by a shrine without fire, and a bell that would not toll. Gundyr was bested by an unknown warrior, then became a sheath to the Coiled Sword in the hopes that someday, the First Flame would be linked once more. Gundyr thereby became a judge, awaiting the arrival of chosen ash to give onto them the Coiled Sword. He received a special halberd upon being charged with his duty and was restrained with a steel chain. Sometime during his vigil, he became host to a writhing corruption that possessed a will of its own.
Gundyr cannot be damaged until the Coiled Sword has been removed from his chest. Once done, he will begin to rise and is vulnerable to damage, even though his health bar won't appear until he has taken up his weapon. Lay into him during this, as he can't retaliate in any way; by the time his health bar appears, you may have already dealt substantial damage to him.
His attacks may seem overwhelming at first, but most of them have poor tracking, are very slow, and are also amply telegraphed. Stay at a medium distance from him and avoid accordingly, rolling either behind him or through his attacks (or both), which most times leave him open for a few hits.
When about half of his health has been depleted, a gigantic Pus of Man will emerge from within his body and change the mechanics of the battle considerably. While impressive at first, this incarnation also suffers severely from poor tracking, although it does have a higher damage output.
In this phase of the fight, try to remain right behind him and roll toward his back if he manages to aim a direct attack. He takes a few seconds to recover from most attacks, which gives enough time to inflict some damage.
Keeping a long distance throughout the fight and attempting to move in every time to score a few hits is usually not advisable for novice players, as Gundyr may often stop them on their tracks.
- Can be parried and riposted on the first and second phase of the fight.
- Gundyr is noticeably vulnerable to fire during the second phase.
- Iudex is Latin for "judge", an apt name for this boss as it seems to decide who is worthy to access Firelink Shrine.
- Drops exactly the same amount of souls as Vordt of the Boreal Valley in all game cycles.
- ↑ Item description of Soul of Champion Gundyr.
- ↑ Item description of Gundyr's Set.
- ↑ Item description of Coiled Sword.
- ↑ Item description of Gundyr's Halberd.
- ↑ Item description of Prisoner's Chain.