- Starting equipment of the Knight class.
- Dropped by Hollow Soldiers who wield them.
- Firelink Shrine
- Road of Sacrifices
- Dropped by Sage's Prentices who wield them.
- Cathedral of the Deep
As in the previous Souls games, the Long Sword is widely regarded as the most balanced of the straight swords. It is useful in all situations potentially thrown at the player and its low stat requirements allow it to be wielded easily by most starting classes from the beginning (save for the Sorcerer and the Assassin). It features a moveset of broad slashes and quick thrusting attacks, allowing it to be used in many areas throughout the game with little risk of hampering the player's combat effectiveness.
- When using the weapon's skill, the player transitions into a stance in which they hold the Long Sword with both hands and hold it at shoulder level. Executing a light attack whilst in the stance will cause the player to perform a quick vertical slash that inflicts significant stamina damage, which will likely result in an opponent's guard being broken; the player may then riposte them with a critical attack if they so choose. Using the strong attack whilst in the stance will have the player perform a lunging thrust forward, inflicting heavy poise damage on contact.
- With 40 STR and 40 DEX, a +10 Refined Long Sword can have comparable damage to many heavy weapons, as it's speed allows for much more frequent hits. The only obvious downside is that the Long Sword has much lower poise damage.
Reinforced with Titanite.