- Choose it as a starting gift.
- Starting equipment for Thief.
- Purchase from Domhnall of Zena for 5,000 souls after he has relocated to the Firelink Shrine.
The Master key can access bonus areas, as well as areas that would not otherwise be reachable. For example, normally reaching Blighttown would require trekking through the Undead Burg, killing the Bell Gargoyles at the Undead Parish, then fighting through the Lower Undead Burg, then the Depths with the Gaping Dragon; with the Master key, the player can simply take the shortcut through the elevator to the New Londo Ruins, the Valley of Drakes, and then Blighttown.
The implications of such activities are important. For example, accessing Blighttown early also means reaching advanced pyromancies and weapons, granting players disproportionately high firepower for their level. Although this can be a problem for starting players, because they may run into high-level areas when they are not ready.
For players that did not get the Master Key as a starting gift, it can be acquired later from Domhnall of Zena after ringing both Bells of Awakening. However at this point the Master Key has mostly lost its usefulness, as the player will likely have already opened the majority of the doors the Master Key can open. The only uses it has after this point is in Sen's Fortress, to free Big Hat Logan and obtain a Soul of a Hero. However the player will keep the Master Key when moving into NG+, allowing them to use it in the next playthrough.
List of Openable DoorsEdit
- Residence in upper Undead Burg.
- Top of the tower in which Havel resides in Undead Burg.
- Base of tower in which Havel resides, leading to Darkroot Basin.
- Lautrec's cell door in Undead Parish.
- Door to the bonfire in The Depths.
- The passageway between New Londo and the Valley of Drakes.
- The cage doors in Sen's Fortress (but not the elevator cages).