Oscar appears in the Undead Asylum, where he rescues the player character from imprisonment by dropping a corpse with the Dungeon Cell Key into the cell. He is later found dying, and asks the player to listen to his tale. If this request is granted, he will give the player the Estus Flask and the Undead Asylum F2 East Key. If the player had defeated the Asylum Demon in the first encounter, the player will also be given the Big Pilgrim's Key.
If the player answers "No" to his question (refusing to hear his tale and request), the only way to obtain the Estus Flask and the keys is to kill Oscar or rest at a bonfire.
Regardless of whether the player killed him in the first meeting or left him to die, Oscar is encountered again in the same area upon revisiting the Asylum, as a Hollow enemy.
Oscar alternates between using his sword two-handed and one-handed and kicks for heavier stamina damage. His attacks deal decent damage, but he also moves slowly for an NPC enemy, allowing for plenty of opportunities to heal. He has the heavy roll, making it easy to strafe him.
Oscar was likely a high-ranking knight from Astora, who was determined to seek out Lordran once he turned Undead. Exactly how he ended up in the Undead Asylum and why he rescues the player is unknown, though it is implied that he was intentionally releasing undead from the Asylum in hopes that at least one would ring the Bells of Awakening.
There is a hole in the ceiling at the location he is first encountered, and since the Asylum Demon first appears descending upon the Chosen Undead to guard the exit from any Undead hoping to escape, it can be assumed that Oscar had fought the Asylum Demon on the roof of the Asylum, but wound up crashing down into the squalid dungeon the player encounters him in.
It is implied that the ensuing despair he felt at being unable to even overcome his first obstacle as an Undead is what turned him Hollow.
Health and SoulsEdit
* Has 1 HP and drops 100 souls when he first appears.
|Encounter||Physical Defenses||Elemental Defenses||Resistances|
These stats are sourced from FuturePress's Official Dark Souls Strategy Guide.
Undead Asylum F2 East Key
Big Pilgrim's Key
If not given
If not given
If not given
(slay Asylum Demon - first encounter)
- Also drops 2,000 souls.
|Click to see Dialogue (Contains Spoilers)|
- In the credits, he is acknowledged as "Knight of the Undead Asylum". His name is not mentioned in-game; however, he is identified as "Oscar, Knight of Astora" in a text dump extracted from unused game files.
- In the room the player finds Oscar in, a hole can be identified in the ceiling. Before the player triggers the boulder no other possible way in or out of the room is evident, making it likely that Oscar was fighting the Asylum Demon, since he appeared well and able not long ago and is suddenly nearing death when the Chosen Undead discovers him. This is hinted at further upon opening the first set of doors to the Asylum Demon's arena, where it can be seen waiting for the player on the destroyed roofing.
- Oscar of Astora is reminiscent of Ostrava of Boletaria from Demon's Souls, as they both wear signature armors from their respective games, use powerful weapons imbued with magic, and turn hostile to the player after their deaths.
- Oscar and the Black Knights in the Asylum can damage each other, although they will never attack each other intentionally.
The following is content that is present within the code of Dark Souls, but not actually implemented in the game. Text was found from a text dump which can be found at: http://pastebin.com/hA42TwK8.
|Click to see Removed Content (Contains Spoilers)|
Oscar was originally meant to play a much larger role in Dark Souls. His removed dialogue suggests that he was to be a summonable in Anor Londo and the Darkroot Garden. In addition, he seemed fated to confront the player at the end of the game being the counterpart to whatever side you went with. (Frampt or Kaathe)