The player takes a moment to sharpen the weapon's blade, giving it a glowing shine.
The effect of this skill is very different between the two weapons that portray it:
- Butcher Knife: The blade gains the ability to heal a small amount of HP with each successful hit. A red aura and a sound cue will appear each time an enemy is struck, indicating health has been successfully absorbed. Since this weapon can perform quick successive slashes, a considerable amount of health may be restored in a short time.
- Great Machete: The sharpened blade boosts the weapon's attack rating to ×0.1, in a similar way as the Warcry skill.
- Butcher Knife: Useful for saving Estus Flask uses for more dangerous situations or simply to stay in top condition while exploring a level. Excels while dealing with foes that have a high amount of health and are staggered easily with each hit, like most invaders and unkindled enemies. Also very useful in areas inhabited by many weak enemies, like Lesser Crabs in the Road of Sacrifices or respawning corpses in the Cathedral of the Deep.
- Great Machete: Useful skill overall, granting that extra damage boost needed to finish enemies with one less slash or to break the guard of those hiding behind shields.
- Butcher Knife: Moderately useful just to compensate a little any damage received while trading hits with an opponent, although finding a moment to perform the skill, the small amount of time it remains active, and the small benefits obtained overall make it not the best option for healing and the player may do better in relying in other means for that effect.
- Great Machete: Depends on the player's own fighting style. They should know exactly when to pull it off, either it is at the beginning of a duel or while in the middle of an fight.