- Dropped by Mimics encountered in several areas throughout the course of the game.
The Symbol of Avarice provides only average defenses in all regards and its usage is generally only related to its secondary properties. While worn, the player will absorb 50% more souls for every enemy defeated (even bosses) and their Item Discovery attribute will receive a 100 points boost. However, this headgear will start draining the player's health by a rate of -10 HP per second.
How to obtainEdit
The Symbol of Avarice is a potential drop from all Mimics encountered throughout the course of the game. It may even be obtained from the very first Mimic in the High Wall of Lothric. All Mimics have guaranteed drops, but they may also yield a Symbol of Avarice along with these.
Since Mimics are non-respawning enemies, each encounter with one is very valuable if one is looking to obtain a Symbol of Avarice. The player must first make sure their Item Discovery attribute is as high as possible. Crushing a Rusted or a Rusted Gold Coin before engaging a Mimic is recommended, as well as equipping the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring.
Like in previous installments, Mimics can be disabled momentarily by throwing an Undead Hunter Charm at them. Each time a Mimic is disabled, it will have a chance to spawn a Symbol of Avarice; the Mimic will drop to the ground and be safe to loot for a short period of time. The first time, the player will always obtain their fixed drop and may even get a Symbol of Avarice as well.
If the Mimic did not drop the headgear, it can be attacked in its staggered state and it will return to its 'trap' form without retaliating. The player can then throw another charm at it, giving it another chance to spawn a Symbol of Avarice. The process can be repeated as long as the player has charms left or until the Mimic dies.
- Increases number of souls acquired from defeated enemies by 50%.
- Increases Item Discovery by 100.
- Drains 10 HP/sec.
Due to its poor defenses and HP draining effect, the Symbol of Avarice should be used sporadically and only when necessary. Having invested souls in Vigor to have a higher HP pool and equipping items that provide HP regeneration, like the Sun Princess Ring and the Ancient Dragon Greatshield, will help alleviate this effect to some extent. The base HP draining effect happens at a steady rate of -10 HP per second, so the player is advised to finish its use as soon as possible.
One of the best uses the Symbol of Avarice has, is wearing it immediately after defeating an area boss. When a boss is defeated, a considerable period of time (about 15 seconds) takes place before the souls obtained from the fight are actually added to the player's count. This gives more than enough time to equip it and be benefited with a very high amount of bonus souls (50% more), since the more souls an enemy yields, the proportionally higher amount of souls the player will obtain.
It is also advised to stay near a bonfire if this headgear is going to be used for item farming purposes. That way, the player can empty all of their Estus Flask uses while on the field and have a reliable source nearby to replenish them when necessary.
Since the Symbol of Avarice is one of the heaviest pieces of head armor in the game (weighing 11 units), the player should take this into consideration before equipping it, as in most cases this will make them roll slowly with most other armor pieces' combinations.
- The HP draining effect continues even when resting at a bonfire.
- The HP draining effect will not continue during invincibility frames.
- The increased souls absorption and Item Discovery effects the Symbol of Avarice grants when worn will stack with other items that provide the same effects, like the Covetous Silver and Gold Serpent Rings.
- It is possible to obtain more than one Symbol of Avarice as random drops from Mimics. However, if the player has already acquired one throughout the course of the game, the last Mimic encountered will not have it as a guaranteed drop.
- Armor gear cannot be upgraded in Dark Souls III, which forces the player to use the Symbol of Avarice only with its base values while in combat.
|Clandestine Coat • Ragged Mask • Loincloth • Sage's Big Hat • Scholar's Robe • Symbol of Avarice • Thrall Hood • Wolnir's Crown|