The Painter is locked in the upper floor of the library at the end of the Corvian Settlement. Guarded by Sir Vilhelm, he must be defeated to obtain the key that unlocks the staircase to her location. After freeing her from the library, she'll move to the attic in Ariandel Chapel.
The Painter's role is to paint a new world which will replace the current rotting Painted World. For that she needs flame and a pigment from the Dark Soul of man. However, her job was delayed by her imprisonment in the Corvian Settlement by Friede and Ariandel, suppressing the flame with his own blood. Therefore, after freeing her from the library, the Ashen One's goal would be to unlock the passage to Father Ariandel and defeat both him and Sister Friede in battle, after which the Painter could start painting her new world in the chapel's attic.
|Click to see dialogue|
- Cannot be killed. She will always respawn on her location.
- Interacting with her isn't necessary to complete the DLC. She can even be ignored entirely in the library and still move to the attic once Sister Friede has been defeated.
- Talking to her once she has moved to the attic, and then returning to the Corvian Settlement and talking to the Forlorn Corvian Settler rewards the player with a Titanite Slab.
- Her dialogue after receiving the Blood of the Dark Soul implies she has no name at all.
- She appears to have scales visible on her face and feet, similar to those of Priscilla.