The White Sign Soapstone is given to the player by Mild-Mannered Pate, who is first found in the Forest of Fallen Giants, after talking to him several times. The player must first explore the area beyond the small gate next to him to access the dialogue that rewards the soapstone.
If Pate is killed, a gravestone will appear where he was killed. Paying 2,000 souls will bring back his ghost who can be interacted with and who will give the player a soapstone.
- Only one White Sign Soapstone can be placed at a time, attempting to place another will result in the previous one being removed.
- If successful when using a White Sign Soapstone in another player's world, the player will become human and be rewarded with a Token of Fidelity.
- As a phantom, the player will dull in color over time, until they're disconnected from the host.
- Entering a boss fight, loading screen or certain areas, will cause a placed White Sign Soapstone to disappear.
- Members of the Heirs of the Sun covenant will have a golden sign, and are given a Sunlight Medal in place of the Token.
- If all bosses in an area are defeated, the player may only summon Shades in that area, until at least one boss is respawned. Their own signs are unaffected by this.